Saturday, July 28, 2012

Van Damme Kayaking



The view from Van Damme State Beach, Mendocino County, CA.

This is just how I remember it . . . .  Feeling my way into the day's paddle.

Hmmm.  Maybe I'll head out there instead of toward the caves to the north . . . .

Sofia, my kayak, is a great dive workhorse, as you can see by all the gear secured here.  Luckily, I prefer free diving, for a tank and BC set-up (with the additional weights) transforms my plucky duck into a land turtle attempting to swim.  (Well, perhaps, not that bad. I do have to dig, dig, dig, when I strap that tank on the back.)  She's a tough kayak, wonderfully stable as a dive platform and in rough water, though she certainly doesn't like windless, flat days as much as her sleeker cousins do.


Happy kayaker, getting ready.  (That wetsuit is an O'Neill Psycho 1.  Just saying.)