Sunday, July 29, 2012

Quick Cave Jaunt

Just to the north around the first corner from Van Damme State Beach, there are a couple of easily accessible caves, as well as many other caves further to the north and to the south as well.  Here are the shots for the second of the caves.  

I prefer to enter against the swell, at least my first time through a cave on a specific day.  I am a bit more in control heading into the current and push than if I were moving with the water's motion, perhaps caught in the water's fist and thrown with more force and direction than I'd prefer.  Of course, once I have a better idea of the flow patterns inside the cave, and if it's fitting, I like heading inside with the push and rush too.

Inside, the cave is a lot darker than these shots convey; the flash on the camera illuminates a fair amount.  Now, the light coming in from outside is part of the beauty and attraction here.  The mouths of the cave beckon both from the outside and the inside.


The next shot catches the view straight up to the ceiling.  I wish I could turn down the flash for a better, more realistic effect, and yet still have enough light to convey something.  Inside, without the camera, you look up at the ceiling, fissured and jagged as it is, in glimpses governed by the light streaming in (or not); by the movement of the water that sends that light here, then there, flickeringly; and by your own vantage and curiosity.  I recall once wearing a long-billed cap against the bright sun outside and never quite realizing I should look up, for that bill worked too well to block my sight too.  Another time, the gloomy overcast outside didn't allow for enough light inside the cave to see much of anything at all, certainly not the "rafters".  Of course, such a cave with the inner depths (and heights) lost in shadow has another appeal.


Heading toward the exit, now.



Even an overcast day can seem quite bright after the cave's darkness.  I keep meaning to dismount from the kayak and swim about in there, but for some reason, I just haven't yet.

I was paddling solo here, but if you'd like to check out the sea-caves and rock gardens of the Mendocino waters, I definitely recommend Kayak Mendocino for tours.  Check out the company website here.