Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Usual Suspects: Gerstle Cove

Here are some photos from a recent free dive in Gerstle Cove, the protected cove at Salt Point State Park in Sonoma County. These shots are simple and meant merely to document what you can see down there. I took these pictures with a Canon PowerShot D10 amphibious camera.














P.S. Here's a shot of my dive partner napping on the rocks with his weight belt still cinched around his waist. While he sacked out for an hour, I swam around the cove taking these shots. Earlier in the day, we'd kayaked out of the cove and to the south a bit looking for abalone. (I planned to take photos; my partner, to harvest shellfish for dinner.)

The surge was particularly energetic while we were there, tossing us up and down in the way that I rather like, though others find it somewhat disturbing to their peace of mind or their innards. (I look forward, in such conditions, to the residual rocking to sleep at night as my body remembers the sea's motions.) Here, that energetic surge called for definite efforts paddling and free diving. After we returned to shore, the swell--and my dive partner--both took naps.
(My apologies for water on the lens here. GM is fine, just napping, but we'll see if he really checks my blog or not . . . .)