Monday, August 15, 2011

Reading By The Crate: Fall 2011

Or, what my students will be reading this term:


A closer view, if that helps:

Oh, the titles of the books you can't quite see in the crate: The American Heritage Dictionary (marked with "Duck #3", a crucial tool), Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales, and the eighth edition of Silverman, Hughes, & Roberts Wienbroer's Rules of Thumb: A Guide For Writers.

The last is optional; that is, the students may substitute another standard composition handbook, if they already have one. I aim at affordability as well as at appropriateness, interest, and ambitiousness.

P.S. A nod to FL for the idea of exhibiting the term's reading via "the box."

Also, I don't know about you or about your teachers, but I'll be rereading all of those books this semester, even the ones I've taught before. I have an excellent memory for what I've read, but that doesn't mean I can coast on a past reading; notes alone won't do it either. I need to re-experience each book, especially as I prefer to emphasize that reading experience chapter by chapter, paragraph by paragraph, and even sentence by sentence. If I don't reread, I lose the freshness and can't quite recall all the details and the sweep or the strategies that I'd prefer to.

I don't know how to do it any other way.

P.P.S. I've also left the Course Reader for Eng 46B out of the photo. I'd misplaced it for a while. Imagine another slim, but very full book . . . .