Friday, August 5, 2011

Trickster



Or Trisha, after the art instructor with the pigtails who ended up modeling one day in our gesture class. She kept on her clothes, unlike the three previous models, so we kidded her gently about that, and then we all pretended that she'd modeled nude anyway. It was fun watching what different people did with her hair; my version seems very accurate to my memory, though the tails look rather like horns, don't you think?

I learned a lot from her and enjoyed watching her both work and teach. (You can learn quite a bit watching good teachers at their craft.) She guided me through my first full-sized heads and through working with real models. She was also good in that her students produced pieces that didn't look anything like her own work; I take that as a good sign of someone who fosters the individual vision in her students. She also got me to listening to Lucinda Williams again, and that was a happy reminder.

Puck is certainly in her bloodline, somewhere.

Trickster: sculpture mix, brown and black glazes, blended. Maybe some Shino in there too. I made this one back in 2005 or 2006, and I saw it hanging on the wall of the garage, took it outside to see just what I'd done with gesture and glazing, and now share it with you. Not so much: still fun.