Friday, August 3, 2012

Wool Keeps You Warm Even When Wet




Decked out for kayaking and diving in the fog. Mendocino waters.  (Goofy boy for all my 51 years.)

I let myself get chilled before I even hit the water, listening to a fellow diver tell stories and share recipes.  (Yes, recipes.  For chili, paella, and Portuguese Fish Stew.  What do you think guys talk about?  Food.)  I considered putting on another layer before launching, but I figured the paddling would warm me right up.  Didn't happen.  Eventually, after I'd been shivering for a while, I pulled that wool cap out of my dry bag. Later, in the sunshine, but after kayaking for three hours, a short dip in the water and in the face of the rising wind, I pulled out an old fleece to put on over that wetsuit too.

I could have pulled my neoprene squid lid up onto my head, but there's something extra warming about wool, you know?

P.S.  Oh, the shades, in the fog?  First, those are my water-glasses with a safety strap and a rugged construction, which I use for kayaking and surfing (when I attempt such).  Second, while the morning began quite darkish, the fog usually gets glare-y early too.)