Friday, August 3, 2012

Swell Shots

Or, All About The Undulations.


I wanted to catch the rolling, flexing water, and while the shot above may seem a bit ominous to some of you, being in the kelp is what relaxes me here. The thick kelp beds off Van Damme State Beach in Mendocino Co. here mellow out the incoming swell so that we get this rolling effect, not a breaking effect, even though the water's rather shallow beneath my kayak.  Ideally, I'd have been in the water for an even better angle than this one from the low deck of my kayak, but I wasn't ready for that cold immersion just yet.  And, since this is only a light swell, the rolling effects are rather subtle, but they hold my attention nevertheless; I like watching--and feeling, especially--all such movements, dramatic or not.  (At the end of the day, I could still feel and relish the rise and fall of the water in my body.)

Perhaps this series will work for you too.







Time to start paddling again.