Monday, June 11, 2012

Triton By My Side


Free diving off Pacific Grove: clay mask in tow.

I strapped one of my ceramic masks--Triton--to the belt for my camera pouch this time out.  I had wanted to take pictures of the mask underwater, set against a kelp holdfast or wedged in a rocky crevice beside some of those gigantic green anemones, perhaps, but the visibility was so limited, I ended up not chancing the loss of the mask this time.

The strong surge wasn't helping either.  Now, if I'd been tank diving, the conditions wouldn't have mattered so much for exploratory photography, even with the poor visibility, but I still prefer free diving and its particular challenges in such a situation.

Shore and tidepool shots only with the Triton mask: see those shots here and here.  Next time, deeper shots--or maybe I'll bring along one of my clay fish for such a photo opportunity; I've done such in tidepools, of course, as you can see here.