Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Garage Art: Davenport's Paragraph, Ayrton's Golden Hive, and Hilary's Bees


Guy Davenport, in his literary scholarship, is the model I should should should have found when I was wrestling with the dissertation-daemon.

This was a mere aside in the essay, but what a rich paragraph, yes?

Please seek out Guy Davenport's scholarship and his translations (not his fiction, I say), and you will be rewarded by living, breathing, sharing erudition, especially regarding Modernism in Art and Literature, the Classical/Primitive, and archetypal aspects of how literature works as well, no matter the period.

Oh, and he's just a great practical and generous-minded reader of texts.

I have that quotation--and others worthy of attention, posted on a wall in my garage.  When I am working, or working out, out there, I often reread such words, such a paragraph, with renewed enjoyment and even wonder.