Monday, June 11, 2012

Flow Factor: Surface and Depth


Note the warbles at the edge of the still--pausing--surface waters here.  Note also the surge showing in the disturbed water in the foreground and in the background/distance.



I love kelp, the simplest, most humble blades, stems, and floats.  The particles in the water demonstrate helpfully how visibility underwater was severely limited as well as the flow patterns as the surge moved in and out.  Such surging will be more apparent, I believe, in subsequent photos.


 Note the flowing away of the surge, with the bending of the sea grass and the movement of the sand and organisms floating free.  "Free" meaning caught in the grip of the surge and the current, but free floating.  Sure.



 The surge recoils, pausing.



Wham!  The surge kicks in as the wave moves through this space, gripping me in this case and sending me flying through the water.  I think the blurry photo, otherwise unremarkable, does a fine job of catching the actual movement I was made to make.


 Flow relaxing, again, momentarily.  More kelp.



Self-portrait of a diver in the surge.  (Don't divers look goofy?  Such unsexy, unglamorous equipment.)  You can see one eye, at least, is bloodshot from the salt and particles in the water that kept leaking into my mask, and you can see the particles flowing in the foreground even as the kelp blades flex in the background.  I'm probably holding onto a rock or a kelp holdfast here.

Now, of course, I prefer better visibility.  The cathedralesque quality of the kelp forests is so hard to appreciate when you can't quite see as far as your arm or your flippers or even a double-body length.  And yet.  And yet being in the water, in the surge, in the mix: that's what matters.  And that's what keeps me coming back even when I suspect that I won't be able to see the beauty at a distance.  I know that the small beauties, the close beauties, deserve attention too.