Sunday, January 8, 2012

Spear and Wave

Free diver spearfishing west of Lover's Point, Pacific Grove. There were two divers working the area, but I didn't notice the second one until the two were climbing up the stairs from the beach.

I'd been rather distracted after taking this shot by gearing up myself.

I hadn't planned on diving, not definitely, but sunny skies, little wind, and such blue water had me pulling on the wetsuit and fishing out my fins as fast as I was able.

Also, if someone else is already out, then it's do-able, you know. It's more than do-able, it's now must-do-able.

(I may be fifty, but part of me's still fifteen or whatever. That adolescent competitive spark still burns. I have better impulse control now, but like to give in once in a while. Got to keep that heart pumping. And, truthfully, my first free dive of 2012 was quick and cautious. Due to the limited visibility underwater, I put off my photographic plan and practiced riding the surge between rocks as well as entries and exits. I haven't been working out and wanted to take it easy, but I had to get wet. Always counts.)