Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Weeds In The Garden?

The sea garden, that is.

This is the same bed of urchins I shot a week or so ago, and in the meantime the sea grasses had been torn up by the surge and spread all over these hungry creatures.

Good eating for them, but a rather cluttered looking seascape for the photo-hunter. Still, it's all good, and that's sincerity and not just a wannabe-feel-good response. And, there are always other pictures to find than the ones you'd already shot or already imagined. Though, sure, my first response was to decry the lesser clarity and the "weediness" of the scene. The ice cream headache on first descent didn't help either.

Laugh on me? Well, at first, but I'm fairly elastic in such underwater scenarios.






I love seeing the urchin bed here in different moods. The more west swell, as I felt it, sent more surge directly into this inlet, and so had pulled loose the sea grass blades, as you can see, and kept me bobbing about, trying to hover and not stick myself on these purple pincushions.

And, even when the scene's less photogenic than you expected, well, there's swimming like a fish and floating like kelp in the flow to provide plenty of solace. Also, it's good to swim without the camera in between yourself and the experience . . . .