Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy July 4th, 1966?

Here's an old family photo. On the back, you can read "July 4th, The Ducks."

I'm thinking this would be 1966, 1967, or possibly 1965. I'm that buzzhead boy in the front in the Buster Brown shirt (loved that shirt), and I look like a first grader, maybe. I'm standing all goofy. I'm thinking that I'm doing that thing with my feet because of the way I'm having to hold my arms behind my back and pose. (The energy comes out somewhere, somehow; nothing much has changed, though I look a lot older.)

We were patriotic children, so posing with the flag would have made perfect sense. It's funny to see the slice of porch and the street; I lived there for almost 20 years or so and still dream about that house every once in a while.

And, while the sun is (as usual for a family photo) in our faces, we look pretty happy here. That's worth appreciating.

Happy 4th to you too.

(When I consider that caption, I wonder if Uncle Bob took the shot.)