Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Keith: Alaskan Double Exposure

Back in 2004 and in the wake of my father's death, I spent a week with my friend Keith Sanders touring different sections of Alaska by car, ferry, train, and small plane. We had a great time cruising the highways, fishing, hiking, checking out glaciers on foot and aloft, talking and talking. He helped me, again, with the loss of my father. We got to be the friends in person again for a bit more than a week that we'd always been, close or far away. It had been too long since we had spent time in each other's company.

In the wake of Keith's death earlier this year, I've been looking at old photos and mining old memories of our friendship. I found these accidental double exposures in an envelope of "rejects" for the photo album I put together after that trip.

I am posting these three sample double exposures mostly for fun --even a bad photo may be worth a second look-- though also in simple memory-of-Keith. That first photo with an Alaskan mountainscape below and Keith walking away above hit me hard when I happened upon it.
I don't know what I expected to happen, truly, but I never really imagined that Keith wouldn't be here-- by my side in hard times, or a phone call away most of the time-- and it hurts that he isn't here.

I've got more stories to share, man, and I want to hear yours too.