Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Morning with Kelp: Monterey Bay

Tuesday, June 14: Cool, overcast morning with light winds from the west. Few marine mammals; lots of pelicans and gulls. Light swell, but fun, especially just west of the Aquarium as we watched the surf hit the point. The kelp beds provided classic illustration of how they mellow out wind chop, and the water had a thick texture as we paddled.

My favorite photos below catch the rolling swell, lifting and dropping, as you can see by looking at my brother in the red kayak. He's no further away, really, in the seventh photo below, but he seems to have dropped into a hole. I couldn't find the best way to catch the swell action with the camera, so after a bit I put the camera down and concentrated on holding the feelings and the look in my body and mind. The mild conditions meant we paddled further and faster without quite noticing, which led to appropriately sore muscles later.

I need to get back into paddling shape, and this day was a fine effort.











Good day.