Thursday, November 18, 2010

Salvage: Fisherman's Blues


I'd meant to do something else--what else, I can't recall--with that basic form, but the clay dried more quickly than I'd expected, dried before I could continue shaping and trimming. I slapped on the blue just to see, and later I thought, "A boat." Okay, what will help that image, that imposition, that fiction?

Telling stories with clay. No claims for mastery or masterpieces. Process; practice; pretense in the best sense.

I like it on the wall, but I wouldn't call it good. I'm posting it here as a model of fun, as a prototype for further exploration, as a bulwark against hubris.

Salvage Work: Sculpture mix, blue slip. clear glaze; copper wire; twine; a twig.

P.S. Fisherman's Blues, by the Waterboys, is a great album, particularly the title composition.