Friday, November 5, 2010

Kelp Time

Just off the Coast Guard Breakwater, at the north end of Cannery Row, back in the summer. I've just slipped into the water from my kayak.

It's Monterey Bay, so I do have a hood. Too cold otherwise, despite the thick head of hair. Actually, on this particular day I am using a squid lid, not a regular hood, but it's enough for about an hour or so of free diving. I'm wearing the surfing wetsuit, the 4/3, so I'll be lucky to last that hour anyway. Still, wearing the surfing wetsuit means that I can really swim, that I have freedom of movement that my other, thicker wetsuits just don't allow, so I'm very happy despite the early chill in store. I can swim, I can swim, I can swim: yes, sometimes I feel that exuberant, that childish, that child-like.

Here, clearing and refitting my mask. I've pulled the neoprene cap back to get a proper seal with the mask. After that's in place, I pull the lid back into position, and then I slide under the water to see what can be seen. Love my kelp-diving, I do.

Slight wind; check the rippling surface. Visibility underwater less than ten feet, unfortunately. Air temps in the mid-to-upper 60s at best; water temps, mid-50s. Got wet and salty: all good.