Monday, August 31, 2020

Eavan Boland: "Not As Sculpture But Syntax"

 

LAVA CAMEO 

(A brooch carved on volcanic rock)


I like this story --


My grandfather was a sea captain.

My grandmother always met him when his ship docked.

She feared the women at the ports -


except that it is not a true story,

more a rumour or a folk memory,

something thrown out once in a random conversation;

a hint merely.


If I say wool and lace for her skirt and

crepe for her blouse

in the neck of which is pinned a cameo,

carved out of black, volcanic rock;


if I make her pace the Cork docks, stopping

to take down her parasol as a gust catches

the silk tassels of it --


then consider this:


there is a way of making free with the past,

a pastiche of what is

real and what is

not, which can only be

justified if you think of it


not as sculpture but syntax:


a structure extrinsic to meaning which uncovers

the inner secret of it.


She will die at thirty-one in a fever ward.

He will drown nine years later in the Bay of Biscay.

They will never even be

sepia, and so I put down

the gangplank now between the ship and the ground.

In the story, late afternoon has become evening.

They kiss once, their hands touching briefly.

Please,


Look at me, I want to say to her: show me

the obduracy of an art which can

arrest a profile in the flux of hell.


Inscribe catastrophe.


--EAVAN BOLAND


Borrowed from a volume I heartily recommend:

THREE IRISH POETS: An Anthology

Paula Meehan, Mary O'Malley, Eavan Boland

Edited by Eavan Boland

Carcanet Press, 2003