Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Stretch and Kick


Lindamar prepfest, and power to them.  Stretching is good for you.

I did my own bare minimum of stretching before I paddled out and learned my own lesson that I need to be in better shape, better paddling shape, for the next outing.  Kayak-paddling muscles aren't quite the same ones, quite apparently, as board-paddling muscles.  I paddled the (soft) board out, and I realized quickly that I lacked oomph and push.  I made my way somewhat nervously beyond the breakers, not ready for a spin and ride nor for a silly wipeout, and rested.  Hmmmm.  I'm not moving very quickly and am tiring fast.  Realizations are good.  I paddled about for the practice, the exercise,  but slowly, slowly, slowly.  I tried a couple of waves, and then returned to the beach, chastened.  But happy.  Still counts, you know.

Then, I put the 9' board back on the truck's racks, and I pulled out fins, mask, and boogie board and went back out for a while.