Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tasting Salt

Here are four shots from an old photo file from last year, catching glimpses of a free dive off Pacific Grove, CA.  These aren't the best nor most dramatic shots from the day--or I'd have posted them already--but they are true shots, expressive moments spent underwater or at the surface.  I like to dig into past files, and not just into my blog here, for the flavors of the day, the dive, in all its variety.  Sometimes, a shot that seemed overly-mundane will hit me differently now or will connect me with the dive (or the act of diving) itself.





 Here, you can see the surge at work--and at work on me, in particular.  I call this "flying time."


I think I've posted the wave-shot taken just after this one in "A Favorite View," for that shot caught a bit more drama as the approaching wave crest--as seen here, forward, upwards, and leaning to the right--but this shot is also just as true.  I like the texture and malleability of water in the shape of waves and wavelets, boils, ripples, counter-crests, and all else as they form on those waves.  Pindar said, "Water is best."



Here's another self-portrait from that day last year.  I offer it as an antidote to my own tendencies towards vanity: divers look goofy.  Another truth, and one I embody to perfection here.

P.S.  I really need to go diving.  It's been too long.