Sunday, September 4, 2011

Surfmat Poetics II

I pulled out my old surfmat, vintage '78, for a possible session this past weekend. I'd meant to suit up and slip in at Rodeo Beach, but for a variety of reasons I just didn't make it. I've written about this surfmat already here, but now we have the photos.

Can you see the now-faint markings?

Gear ready for a bit of wave-riding. I'll need my old mask & snorkel as well as the camera too, after I've warmed up a bit and dredged up some skills.

I'd covered my surfmat with poetry and proverbs and only later realized I was blowing my cover as a strictly physical diver-guy (as if anyone would have looked at my skinny-lanky bespectacled self and not said "English major" already).

Actually, most divers liked to see the songs and such I'd inked onto the blue-and-yellow abalone floater. "Hey, what's that say?"

I had to draw in eyes, you know, because Jason's Argo had such eyes. The better to see those abalone . . . .

Even a bit of Beowulf, lines that translate as "Fate often saves the undoomed man, if his courage is good."

1978 vintage, recall, so you won't be surprised to find out that there's a slow leak--at least one--in the old 'mat. I breathed it full in the evening, but in the morning after I got my coffee I found the surfmat to be rather flat.

Honor almost requires that I patch it, her, up, but will I really put the surfmat into the water? The boogie board requires no blowing up to work just fine, and yet I have to say that board lacks soul.

"Kiss my ab" --abalone, that is. Just quoting.

Where's that patch kit?