Friday, February 11, 2011

A Glass of Scotch, Shakespeare's Earring, A Good First Novel, and A Big Head

1. Journal Note: Really good day for school and at school--been busy since 4 a.m.--so the Glenlivet in the glass is partly reward and fully earned. Trying to recall what I've read about Shakespeare's earring. The gold ring as a talisman against drowning, a popular hope of the day? Or is that reading too much into and out of The Tempest? Where did I read that? In Fowles' Shipwrecks? Note to self: track the errant thought down. First thing, boss.

2. I'm rereading Ian Rankin's first Rebus book, and I'm enjoying the special pleasure of a solid first novel that is trying really hard to be clever and good. A lesser book would be less enjoyable because of how hard it tries, but Knots and Crosses works, and Rankin's rather noticeable efforts to make this a good experience for his reader is certainly part of the charm. (And I hope my first novel, if I ever complete one, is half as good; no, as good, that's my hope, or better. Why not?)  

(*Note: Ian Rankin had published The Flood before Knots and Crosses, so I'm wrong about the first novel thing here.)

3. A Memory: Two Weeks Ago.

Fellow working the counter at the dive shop down Monterey way as I enter: "Man, your hair just keeps getting bigger and bigger." Maybe he recalled my sudden buzzcut last Spring; maybe he had me confused with another diver.

(If you check the mugshot at the upper right, you'll see the fellow's comment was apt. If you check the mugshot at the lower right, you'll see the buzz. If you care . . . which I don't expect.)

I decided not to ask if Bigger Hair is good or bad. We had a fine conversation, I thought, about his spearfishing with tanks, free diving in general, the dangers of solo diving, and the specific conditions of the day. He recommended against solo diving and pointed out the heavy surf; I listened politely as well as carefully. How do I say it? I may act foolhardy, but I'm no fool? I valued his experience, but I have my own experience, especially free diving solo, to value also.

A grab-bag of thoughts, emptied out at your feet. Still, sometimes a blog entry is more for me than for you. I'll aim higher next time.

P.S. April 30, 2011: I'm shifting my photos for the right-hand column of this blog, so I'll put two "hair" shots just so this entry will make sense.

January 2011 (above): '70s Hair.
April 2010 (below): buzzzzcut.