Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shooting The Rocks

Watch as the wave hits the rocks. Click. Then, turn a little to the left, looking from just shy of Lover's Point down toward Otter Cove. Look at the rocks; note the shapes and the way they work together to hold this edge of the world. Click; click. Finally, step back to get the red blooming plant into the shot too. Click. (That's the photo my father would have taken, for sure.)




January 15, 2011.

After a dive in great conditions at Point Lobos (35 feet viz; 50 degree water temps; sunny topside) and the hit-the-spot grilled chicken sandwich and fries at Phat Burger in Seaside, I stopped in Pacific Grove to admire the rocks and to watch the water move.

Somewhere in there, I stopped for coffee at the East Village coffeehouse and relaxed in an easy chair for a quarter-hour or so, annotating a chapter in Tori Murden McClure's A Pearl in the Storm for one of my English classes. I left the camera in the truck, but I was tempted to get it out and record the comfort. Instead, I drank my coffee, read, and remarked in pencil upon the mid-ocean capsizings and batterings faced by Tori and her craft, The American Pearl, enjoying my comfort that much more, hankering slightly for a rough session too. Next time--but not too rough. Just a bit more adrenaline and exercise.

I recommend all of the above, even the annotating.