Friday, July 21, 2023

Rereading Steven Erikson's "Deadhouse Gates" Again

 


670 pages into this, my third, reading of Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates.  I have always been a rereader, weaned on such practice visiting relatives as a child with only a handful of books--Tarzan, Conan, Bond, and/or Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser--in my bag for weeks or a month at a time.

(I am 62 now, so my formative strategies and psychological structuring predate e-books and devices by decades.)  

I love rereading, and this venture through DG is no exception. More than anything, this time Fiddler's and Felisin's sections resonate with greater volume on the one hand and with more nuance on the other.

I've read Gardens of the Moon half a dozen times, for it's a particular favorite (quirky though it is), but after DG I will be on my first rereading of the rest of the Erikson's Ten, the remainder of the massive series Malazan Book of the Fallen.  

Looking forward!

P.S. That's Lady, by the way.