Sunday, June 26, 2022

"You Don't Know, If You Don't Go."

 Quick Richmond Harbor paddle 

Lately, I have been letting the wind forecasts determine my actions, and that's a mistake.  Guidance is great, but I have been forgetting about local geography and wind direction.  For example, according to a reputable forecast, today was not good for paddle boarding Richmond: too windy early and with rising winds throughout the day.  But that doesn't take into account the harbor itself or my purpose.  Harbors are full of wind breaks and wind tunnels, both of which may be used to advantage. Also, the prevailing wind direction would push me back to my exit spot.  Finally, I was looking for a workout, not a cruise.  I prefer a little wind and chop, usually (and depending on which board or boat I am paddling).

Since I hadn't planned to paddle today, but only to check the conditions, I didn't have my water camera, my shorts with the big pocket for that camera, or the big hat I have taken to wearing as better sun protection.  I almost let all that stop me.  Instead, because the water looked good, I dug around in my truck for proper enough gear and paddled there for the first time.

I was also reminded that it can be a good thing to forget the water camera.  Instead of looking for shots, I was looking about and paying more attention to my paddling and using the wind.



*Photo from shore, using my phone.