Wednesday, February 24, 2021

"Being a Beast: Adventures Across The Species Divide" by Charles Foster


Some of you--I mean, us--will enjoy this non-fiction journey.

 

"There was a blackbird in our garden whose yellow and black eye looked <knowing>.  It maddened me.  He flaunted his knowledge, and hence my ignorance.  The winking of that eye was like a glimpse of a pirate's crumpled treasure map.  I could see that there was a cross on it, which marked the spot; I could see that what was buried was dazzling and would transform my life if I found it.  But I couldn't for the life of me make out where the cross was." 

--page 10


And: Tom is Foster's eight-year-old son; I've just read the part where father and son are spending some weeks as badgers, living in a hole in the earth, eating what badgers eat, including a large diet of earthworms and such.  Note:

"Tom had mercifully few of my inhibitions.  He licked slugs, although medically unwise, I've learned ("The big black ones are a bit bitter, and the bigger they are, the bitterer they are: I prefer the browner ones; they're sort of nutty").

--page