Friday, November 6, 2020

Berkeley Taught Me . . .

Berkeley taught me rigor and an independent voice.  Yes, I was expected to absorb the tremendous amounts of reading in each class, but I was also expected to have a critical sense and a critical voice, my own voice, in the context of each class.  I was not told to research the smarter person's findings, but I was given models of authority and was expected to find my place and my voice amidst those authorities, digging into and commenting on the primary texts at hand.  I am describing my first three years--freshman to junior--starting in 1979.  

Looking back, I so value how my professors were training me to have an independent mind, grounded in methodology and evidence.  In the fourth year, I was ready to face the deep waters of research in general and schools of literary criticism in particular.  I would not have fared so well without the support for my own findings and without all the practice in being an authority, at being a legitimate reader.

That education has deeply influenced how I teach, how I design classes, how I foster excellence.