Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Warning: Poachers


Note the shiny abalone iron.  Abalone season was called off this year and hadn't been in action for some time.  That shiny tool means someone was out there fairly recently; the salt sea is unforgiving in terms of deterioration via rust rust rust.  That clean tool means someone was out doing something they ought not to be doing; we need the abalone protected and unharvested now to recovery from the devastation wrought by the sea urchins on the kelp and other fodder that the abalone rely upon.  A Fish and Wildlife employee pointed out to me that most of the abalone being seen recently are the deeper-water abalone coming up into the more shallow water seeking food.

Being in the shallow water makes them more vulnerable to poachers.

I wanted to bring that abalone iron back to shore, but I also didn't want to be misidentified as a poacher for having such a tool in my possession when the season is closed.  So I left the tool there.  I wish I'd swam the iron into deeper water and tucked it into some difficult crevice.