Sunday, April 22, 2018

Dive-Knife




When I was exiting the water after kayaking there at the Park Service launch in Jenner, CA, a boy (with his brother and a dog in a kayak on the launch) waiting for dad immediately spotted the dive knife on my leg and asked, What's the knife for?

His dad immediately answered, For whatever is necessary.

I was also answering with Just in case of fishing line in the water, you know, and whatever's necessary (which is the truth: mostly the fishing line phobia).

Still, I was struck by how the boy had noticed the knife so quickly.
Cutting to the chase, as it were.

And, years from now, will that boy be thinking it will be cool to be a diver guy with a knife on his leg?


P.S.  I think of this scene and I think of my Uncle Bob in Guam in the 1970s sending my family Cousteau books about diving and sharks (books I still have) and I think of the speargun Dad had on the wall of the garage, and I certainly relate to that boy on Saturday in Jenner waiting in a kayak with his brother and his dog . . . .


P.P,S.  My kayak-pal JP writes: "For context, if I remember right, the lad asked first if we'd been fishing.  You said no.   Then, after a beat, he asked what's the knife for."

To which I say, Good catch, JP.