Monday, September 2, 2013

Sea-Level

JP in the water and adjusting gear -- with Pacific Grove in the background.

My kayak is still "anchored" to some kelp, but the kelp's holdfast isn't actually anchored to the bottom, so this shot is taken just as I am realizing that Sofia, my kayak, is drifting away with the slight breeze.  Fortunately, I was paying attention and was able to catch her before she had traveled too far away.  That could have been embarrassing.

Also, I'm thinking that the position of the line in relation to the position of the kayak should have told me immediately that something just wasn't right. When such a boat is secured, the line would be holding the bow into the wind, and the line and the boat would be aligned in one direction. Here, the boat has drifted broadside to the breeze, and it is towing the light line and loose kelp as it drifts away.