Monday, November 12, 2012

My Pal Keith: Happy 51st!



My pal Keith. Tomorrow would have been his 51st birthday. 

Here's a shot from Summer 2002. He and I were running around his adopted state of Alaska in my first visit. I'm not sure why I took so long to head north; I know that his yearly trips south to see family and friends made it easy to put off such a visit, and I know being a cash-strapped grad student for many years was also part of the equation.  Sadly so, I now know.  I wish I'd visited more often.  

Also, I am surprised Keith sat still long enough for a photo. That's either bug spray or pepper spray (for the bears) in his hand, I'm fairly sure.


I miss you, my friend.

And, wherever he may be, on the next turn of the wheel, if it is at all possible, Keith is sending his love, that mix of being concerned and compassionate, of being heedful and helpful,  to his family and his friends.