Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Dancer From Atlantis


DETAIL:  Pit-fired goddess: sculpture mix; copper wire.
40-minute exercise with model.

Atlantis sank beneath the sea when a well-meaning man made yet another thunderous blunder . . . ?  No, that happens all the time, sad to say.  (The Kardios/Wellman conceit, for those who know.)  I wonder what Virgil would have said about Atlantis and the perils of burning desire, what Homer would have said about the pitfalls of pride and Atlantis' final days.   I can guess what Archilochos and Sappho would have said, yet I still wish we had such utterances--in the most embracing poetics--here to read.  I'd learn Greek to do so, I think.  Odd thoughts after a long and hot day.

(Anachronistic thinking?  Where did Plato get his ideas anyway, I mean, besides from Socrates?  Sail west, Athenians.  Sail west beyond Sicily, beyond the Pillars of Heracles, beyond the Isles of Tin, and then hang a sharp right--or was that an easy left?)