Sunday, September 2, 2012

"The Sea In The Head": Two More From Kennelly's "Islandman"


When will we permit the sea in the head
To flow as it will?
The moon has laws but no theories.
It sends out a cold, golden call

And hangs in suspense for the answer
We fear to give.
I would release the sea in the head.
I would let it live,

Pour through the brain's darkest caves,
Out through the eyes,
Touching the distant skin of other 
Minds and bodies.



Who will say which is more real --
My hands on the sea,
The strange flesh or the hurt roar
That is part of me?

Who will say which is more felt --
Loneliness
Or the desolation written on stones
When the sea withdraws?

I have learned to live both night and day
Uncertain of day and night.
This beautiful island is poised forever
In a dubious light.


--Brendan Kennelly,
Two poems from his "Islandman," a book or sequence of poems that  I've pointed to and quoted from before here and here.

Borrowed, with respect, from this volume:

Brendan Kennelly, Breathing Spaces: Early Poems, 
Bloodaxe Books: Newcastle upon Tyne, 1992.