Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sofia's Bottom; Or, A View I've Been Missing

That's the keel of my kayak, Sofia, as seen from below, from the basic free diving perspective, and that's one view I've sorely missed.

There's a cheeriness about sighting Sofia's bottom as I rise up from below, even if I'm not planning to clamber back aboard anytime soon.

The yellow is quite obviously a jaunty color, but her presence is more than a mere color or look. When I see her where I expect to, I know I haven't been pulled off track by any unnoticed currents. If I want to climb out, there she is, whether I just want to warm up, to grab a piece of gear, or to paddle off to a new divespot. If I am weary from all the hard swimming and held breaths, she offers a platform to rest upon. If I am getting spooked from sharky thoughts, well, there's eleven or so feet of plastic sanctuary.

Mostly, Sofia has been my companion up and down the coast, as far south as Morro Bay and as far north, so far, as Mendocino. I haven't been diving, or even swimming, due to work demands and too many illnesses strung one after another, cold to flu to sore throat to whatever bug is going around. So, looking at any shot of my kayak, even this one from beneath, especially this one from beneath, is both heartening and tantalizing.

I need to take Sofia out soon. She deserves it. We deserve it.

Okay, maybe I'll take some Sudafed and try a light workout later today. First step towards some kind of fitness. I've been missing the pool so much also.