Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mermaid in Blue, Rising


Mermaid in Blue, Rising: sculpture mix; blue glazing, thinly coated.

This is one of my older mermaids, I believe, from 2000 or 2001. She's been hanging in the garage all this time, and only yesterday did the light hit her in such a way that I thought, "Let's take her outside and give her a good look." I was aiming at a sense of metamorphosis here, what with her arms fused to her sides, merging the human portions with the fishier, finny portion. That's what I was aiming at.

What we have is a long, long mermaid, and even here on a bed of wood chips, she seems to be moving upward, streaming toward the surface, driven by some internal force. Don't you think?

I can't help but fit a story to the form when faced with such work, my own or by others.