Saturday, April 17, 2010

Passages: True or False?


1. "All we want is to get to the point where the past can explain nothing about us and we can get on with life." Richard Ford, The Sportswriter

2. "To judge prematurely is often to cripple. To refrain from judging is sometimes to impoverish." M.R. Richards, Centering: In Pottery, Poetry and the Person

3. "If we marvel at the artist who has written a great book, we must marvel more at those people whose lives are works of art and who don't even know it, who wouldn't even believe it if they were told. However hard work good writing may be, it is easier than good living." Katherine Paterson, quoted in Terri Windling's The Wood Wife

True or false?

I hold my past dear, though I understand the psychological burden quite well.

I wonder if shifting "history" for "past" wouldn't be possibly medicable and not mere shuffling.

(In a particular context, Lord Byron used "immedicable" to describe the "world", and I've always found that a short step to despair, as he meant it.)

I'm not sure my life would make much sense
without the past and its explanations, without that vortex
to keep me moving forward,
even if such movement includes a broad reach or a brutal jibe.

I offer the first quotation in part to prompt thoughts
about how much any part of the past
matters to you, to your sense of self.

What did O'Neill say? "The past is the present, isn't it?
 It's the future too."

True or false?