Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Postcard: Saltwater Reflection

I was very fortunate with the disposable camera this day in Monterey Bay. Fortunate with the light and the angle too.














I was free diving just northwest of Lover's Point, out from the parking lot at Otter Cove. I should check my notes for that day. I tend to write up my dives while enjoying the basic bacon & eggs at the Lighthouse Cafe in Pacific Grove, but I don't have a standard dive journal to hold all such notes. I use whatever is at hand: teaching notebook, napkin, postcard, blank pages or spaces in the book I'm reading. (You'd think I'd be more systematic, but then you wouldn't know me very well, would you?) I like the loose approach. I like writing up my notes wherever and however, and the writing matters more than the cataloging or rereading.

Except in a case like this one.

Where are my notes from . . . 2006?

What book was I reading that trip? Whom would I have written a postcard to that day? Was I carrying one of the usual Moleskines? I'm pretty sure I shot a much poorer picture of a bat ray that day also, so where's the rest of the roll?

By the way, all of the water-photos I've posted so far have been taken with your basic disposable "waterproof" 35 mm cameras. I have been lucky so far, though I plan to upgrade my equipment soon. With better equipment, I just may get luckier more often, more predictably, in the best sense.

And, what's Jack Johnson's line about moving like a jellyfish?